Sunday, July 18, 2010

Thoughts on Cooking...and 30-min Shaking Beef Recipe

About 6 months ago, I found myself eating out almost every meal.  Although I love trying a new restaurant/cuisine/dish, at least half if not more of the meals weren't really up-to-par, and yet I am paying good money for them.  Some of the meals even made me wonder how the restaurant owner had the gumption to open for business with food like that.  I know I am sounding like a snob, but I am "serious" about my food!!!

Since I often found myself thinking "I could make this dish better than this restaurant", I started wondering why I didn't just walk the walk and start cooking more at home?

*I think* I am a good cook because my discerning palette knows how to season food well and what good food tastes like.  I used to dislike cooking because I would not be in the mood to eat my own food if it took me longer than 30 minutes to prepare.  It didn't help that my mother is a phenomenal cook, and so I grew up liking eating more than cooking :-).  Also, for at least 10 years (not anymore though), my mom would do this epic all-day cooking of preparing a gizillion meals to stock up the freezer whenever I came home from college or when she came to visit me.  Of course, I would have to be on my feet all day helping!

I knew from previous relapses that I would need to be realistic and keep my dishes to 30 minutes in order to stick with cooking.  I am proud to say that have been cooking at home a lot and even amped up to 5 nights a week (except Friday and Saturday) for the last 2 months.  

Moving forward, I will start blogging about my favorite dishes to share good recipes with friends and motivate myself with my cooking effort -- kind of like the "Julie and Julia" food blog.  

My cooking philosophy:  Although I will list quantity of ingredients in recipes, I follow the golden rule of tasting my food and then tweak the seasoning as needed.  If it's my first time trying a new recipe, I often mull over what could be changed next time.   So I encourage you to do the same.  

RECIPE 1:  VIETNAMESE SHAKING BEEF

Foreword:  I didn't really care for shaking beef before living in SF because I am a confessed picky beef eater.  However, when I had shaking beef at Slanted Door several years ago, I just absolutely loved how tender and tasty it was. Then it dawned on me that what I loved was the tender filet mignon!!!  

Source:  This recipe is from Chef Luke Nguyen on the Cooking Channel. I tinkered with it a bit to fit my own taste.

Picture:  I added extra sauce today and so the beef looks very saucy in the picture.  Don't do this.  I think the dish is better with less sauce.  



Ingredients for Shaking Beef: 
  • 1 lb of filet mignon or filet mignon tail, cut into cubes.  Note: Luke's recipe uses sirloin.
  • 2 tablespoon of oyster sauce 
  • 1 tablespoon of hot water
  • 1 tablespoon of sesame oil (Side note:  This oil adds a lot of taste to wonton filings)  
  • 1 teaspoon of sugar or Splenda
  • 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
  • 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
  • 1/2 small onion, in long slices
  • 1 tablespoon of butter or cholesterol-free butter substitute
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of course cracked black pepper 

Ingredients for Side Dishes:  
  1. Dipping sauce:  A mixture of soy sauce and chili (fresh or from an Asian chili bottle).  I also add a bit of vinegar.  The Shaking Beef is very good without the dipping sauce.  So try it both ways.  
  2. Salad:  Mixed spring salad with grape tomatoes, olive oil + balsamic vinegar dressing. 
  3. "Optional" baguette or  brown/white rice:  I typically skip the carbs.  If you want rice, I would recommend cooking it in advance or use the low-maintenance 90-sec brown rice.  
Preparation and cooking instructions:
  1. In a bowl, create the marinade by combining oyster sauce, hot water, sesame oil, sugar, black pepper, and salt (season to taste).                
  2. Add the beef and marinate for 10 minutes.                                                           Cooking Tip #1:  While waiting, prepare your side dishes (including dipping sauce) above.  
  3. Heat the wok or pan to medium high heat, add butter, garlic, and onions.  Brow the onion/garlic mixture for 2 minutes or longer depending on how well you like your onions cooked.  Scoop the onion mixture out to a separate bowl and set aside.
  4. Clean the pan with a wet piece of paper or cloth.  Turn the pan on high heat until smoking hot. 
  5. Add the tablespoon of vegetable oil.  Add the beef and seal on each side for 1 minute.  The beef should be charred on both sides.  Cook the beef for another 1-2 minutes but don't overcook.  The beef tastes the best at medium rare.                                                                                                    Cooking Tip #2: Taste the beef and add more salt/pepper or seasoning if needed.  
  6. Remove the beef from pan and plate it.  Leave some of the sauce in the pan OR create a little extra sauce with 1/4 tsp of sugar and 1/2 tbs each of oyster sauce + sesame oil + hot water.                    Cooking Tip #3:  Unless you need the extra sauce, I wouldn't recommend using it b/c this dish is supposed to be on the dryer side so that it is less like a wet chinese stir-fry :-)  
  7. Put the onion/garlic mixture back in the pan with left-over sauce.  Twirl the mixture around for a minute or so and then plate it on the side next to the beef. 
  8. Serve the Shaking Beef with the dipping sauce, salad, and/or bread/rice.  


1 comment:

Mariandy said...

Oooh, thank you for posting this recipe! It is one of my favorite dishes EVER!!! I can't wait to try it. :-)