Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Oscar-nominated movies

The Oscar this Sunday inspires this post. Below are a list of nominated movies or movies where the nominated actors came from that I either liked a lot (2 thumbs up), like a little but not crazy about (half a thumb), or didn't like too much (where my thumbs couldn't be found) :-)

Nominated movies that were 2 thumbs up for me:
1) Slumdog Millionaire: very original storyline and authentic scenery from Mumbai
2) Frost/Nixon: really good performance by the nominated actor who played Nixon. It makes me want to buy the original 70-something Frost-Nixon interviews from Amazon.
3) Vicky Cristina Barcelona: Breathtaking sceneries. Fast paced. Good acting. It's quirky but the storyline was kind of original and so it's very entertaining. It is still not my favorite movie though.

Nominated movies that were half a thumb up:
1) The Visitor: Most people would probably love this movie and so I might be an exception for not completely loving it. I liked the actor and the storyline idea (a change in the monotony of life, diversity, etc) but there were parts of the movie that were boring for me.
2) In Bruges: I love the dreamy quality of Bruges and the scenery. Liked the acting too. However, the storyline can be a little looney but this is probably because it's a comedy.

Nominated movies where my thumbs couldn't be found:
1) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: At 3 hours, it was too long and it made me wonder if the Editing team went on strike. Sure, I was impressed with the movie's central idea and the technology. But in the end, both my neighbors and I thought it dragged.
2) Frozen River: I liked how the lives (and poverty) in the movie were depicted very realistically. The ending wasn't expected which was good. Overall, it was just too much chasing around and a bit of stretched storyline.
3) The Duchess: I completely do NOT like this movie. It has well-known actors in it but it's too predictable. I have seen these types of movies a gizzillion times over and it's just not new.
4) Man on Wire: My husband loves this movie. I think it's a guy movie and there must be something in the adventurous nature of crossing a wire that appeals to guys. I didn't like it because I find the whole process a bit tedious. However, it was put together well.

Movies that were not nominated that I really liked (at least 1 or 2 thumbs up):
1) Burn After Reading: I love the Cohen brothers ever since O Brother Where Art Thou (they also make No Country for Old Men last year). It has a huge star-studded cast. It's very fast-paced and unpredictable. Brad Pitt is kind of funny in it.
2) Miss Pettigrew for the Day: Great actresses (McDormand from Fargo and Amy Adams). Fast paced. Just a lovely chick flick with a Victorian feel even though it wasn't during Victorian time.
3) Mamma Mia: Love the sceneries. Much better than the stage version...and how can you go wrong with any Abba songs?
4) Wanted: OK, I am not going to say that this is my favorite movie because it is not but it's an entertaining action-packed movie. What I liked most was that I didn't see the twist coming until it was there.

Nominated or non-nominated movies I have yet to see and I am dying to see in the next couple weeks:
1) The Wrestler
2) Milk
3) Gran Torino

2 comments:

Mariandy said...

I'm embarrassed to say that it was a slow movie year for me. For the first time in a very long time, I didn't see *any* of the Best Picture nominated movies. Not that I didn't *want* to see the movies, but I guess I was just really busy doing other things (like flying 91k miles, lol!)

I read somewhere recently that The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was based on a novel or story by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Can this be true? I will have to look it up.

The movie I'm most looking forward to seeing is Slumdog Millionaire but I also want to see Frost/Nixon.

One movie that no one really talked about last year that I actually managed to see (and thought was good) was The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. The main character (child) in that movie was really good.

Something I noticed was that this year's winners reflected a broader global spectrum than usual. Slumdog Millionaire from India . . . Penelope Cruz from Spain . . . Kate Winslet from UK . . . etc. It was not just American winners.

Anyway, I enjoyed this posting, and I look forward to seeing some of these movies on DVD now!

Quynh said...

Hi M -

Yes, I think the Curious Case is based on a short story by F S Fitzgerald. But since it's a short story, most of us wouldn't have heard of it.

Like you, I felt bad that I haven't seen The Wrestler or Milk (also Revolutionary Road and the Reader) but yet when to see The Confession of a Shopaholic last week. I also need to see this Israeli animated movie that was nominated. My next-door neighbors are huge movie buff and saw all of the Oscar movies before the Oscar. So they keep me very informed.

I liked the Boys in the Stripped Pajamas but the ending left me in shock. I don't think I would have seen it if I knew the ending :-)


Yeah, the winners definitely were very international this year, which is great. There have been other non-American actors that have won in the past though - like Javier Bardem last year, the French actress last year for La Vie en Rose, Cate Blanchet, etc.